Calgary Meals on Wheels is excited to be offering a new Breakfast option for our clients in the new year. Breakfast will be delivered to clients for a nutritious, quick and easy meal to ‘break the fast’ the following day!
Our kitchen is busy testing yummy recipes for our breakfast menu such as Raspberry Almond Scones and Breakfast Burritos. The breakfast meal packages have been designed around Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating with balance and variety in mind. They will contain a serving of milk, a grain or starch item, a protein and a fruit. We hope our clients will enjoy, and benefit, from these healthy, ready-to-eat meals. The best part is, if you don’t eat it all for breakfast, all the items can be incorporated into other meals and snacks during your day!
Skipping meals, especially breakfast, makes it harder to get all the nutrients you need each day. Whether you are striving to eat healthy or recovering from a hospital stay, illness or injury, the option to purchase a breakfast meal package can assist you to further to optimize your nutrition, helping to speed healing and recovery, maintain and regain strength and energy and prevent further decline in health and possible re-admission to hospital. No matter your age, eating a healthy breakfast can positively impact your overall health and offers many benefits!
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Breakfast!
- Stimulate Appetite and Boost Energy for the day to participate in activities you enjoy.
- Boost Nutrient Intakes: Breakfast eaters tend to get more vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, vitamin D, zinc, iron and fibre than those who skip breakfast.
- Protein Power: Breakfast is a great way to incorporate protein into your diet; from milk and yogurt to eggs, nut butters and meats. Protein can help you feel fuller longer, assist with management of blood sugar levels and help your body maintain its muscle and bone mass.
- Stabilize Blood Sugars: Eating regular meals, spaced evenly throughout the day will help your body stabilize your blood sugars
- Healthy Body Weight: People who eat breakfast tend to have better success in achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Strengthen Immunity: Consuming adequate nutrients in one’s diet can help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Enhance Management of Chronic Disease: Eating well can help to prevent diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis and some cancers.
- Reduce Risk of Malnutrition: Eating breakfast sets the stage for eating nutritious dense foods throughout the day and helping folks meet their nutrition needs.
- Reduce Risk of Falls: by eating well to keep your muscles and bones healthy.
- Brain Boost: Breakfast provides vital nutrients for your brain improving concentration and alertness.
Our breakfast option will provide our clients with another opportunity to access ready-to-eat healthful foods assisting them to optimize their health and enhancing their quality of life!
Pizza for breakfast? Why not! Check out this creative breakfast recipe on the Cookspiration site at: http://www.cookspiration.com/recipe.aspx?perma=mumJbizk3NB&d=5&i=5&s=1
– Kim Jeffery, Registered Dietitian – Calgary Meals on Wheels